Perhaps you’re a new patient here at Dr. Gabhart’s, or maybe you haven’t had a dental appointment in years and you’re just trying to psych yourself up for that cleaning you have scheduled for Monday.
Well, let’s calm those jitters and take you through exactly what you’ll experience in a dental examination.
- Medical information. You’ll take a seat in our homey waiting room (complete with toys and games to keep your little ones occupied) to fill out a couple of pages of your medical history. This will be similar to the information you’d give at a doctor’s office, and it won’t take more than ten minutes or so.
- Dental X-Rays. Once seated in the treatment room, any needed X-rays will be taken. The X-rays are used to examine the roots, bone and gums around your teeth and check for potential cavities.
- Hygienist Examination and Cleaning. Your hygienist will lean you back in those comfy chairs, flip on the TV to a station you like, and chat with you while they perform an examination of your teeth. Their routine goes something like this:
- The dental hygienist will examine every tooth, looking for decay, filling issues, etc.
- He or she will use a special instrument to check for tartar deposits and enamel wear on the teeth.
- Using a periodontal probe, the hygienist will measure your gum health and check for signs of recession.
- The hygienist will clean each tooth, removing plaque and other buildup.
- Next, they will polish your teeth with a polishing toothpaste. Your teeth will feel smooth as a whistle after this step!
- After the polishing comes a quick floss, and if needed, a basic fluoride treatment will be applied.
- Finally, your dental hygienist will take you through an overall summary of your oral health. He or she will review your current brushing and flossing habits and make recommendations for you to continue or improve your oral hygiene routine. He or she will also schedule a time for your next cleaning!
- Dentist Examination. After your pearly whites are brilliantly cleaned by your hygienist, Dr. Gabhart himself will stop by to see you! He will take a look at your X-rays and inside of your mouth, discussing with you and your hygienist what they see.
- Goodie bag! The best part of the whole dental visit is walking out with your bag of dental goodies. We send you home with a new toothbrush, sample-size toothpaste, floss, and a card for your next appointment!
If you still have questions, don’t hesitate to ask! We really can’t wait to meet you!