Although dentures are different than natural teeth, they still require a similar care routine to keep them looking nice and pearly white! We’ve put together some tips for you to use to keep your dentures, whether partial or full, as clean as can be.
- Rinse after eating – Just like a teen or adult would do with a retainer, it’s important to keep food particles out of your dentures. After eating, quickly rinse your dentures out with water to remove any small food particles that may be getting “saved for later”.
- Brush dentures daily – In order to stay nice and clean, your dentures should be brushed at least once a day. Purchase a nonabrasive denture cleanser in the dental section of your local supermarket and brush, focusing on removing plaque, food deposits, and any remaining denture adhesive. And remember that while you should brush your dentures, you need to be brushing your actual teeth, tongue, and gums as well!
- Soak overnight – Most dentures need to be soaked in either water or a mild denture-soaking solution while you sleep. Remember to rinse before putting them back in the next morning. Check with Dr. Gabhart and the team to see what overnight care routine is best for your dentures, and what product recommendations they may have for you!
- Handle with care – Although they are exposed to the daily wear and tear of eating, drinking, and talking, your dentures are still fragile. Be gentle when you take them out, and be careful not to bend them as you brush and soak them as your denture care routine requires.
- A couple of “don’ts” – There are a couple of things to avoid in your denture care routine. They include: abrasive cleaning products like strong denture-soaking product or hard-bristled brushes; whitening toothpastes; and hot water, as it could warp your dentures.
- Schedule regular appointments – Last but not least, it’s important to make regular check-ins at your dental office so that your dentist can ensure that your dentures are fitting properly and that your teeth and mouth are staying healthy underneath. Follow this link to schedule an appointment with us online!